PROFESSOR & HEAD, UBC DEPARTMENT OF ORTHOPAEDICS
Vancouver – BC Children’s Hospital
Dr. Kishore Mulpuri is the Head of the Department of Orthopaedics at the University of British Columbia, as well as a Pediatric Orthopaedic Surgeon at BC Children’s Hospital. He completed his medical and orthopaedic training at Kasturba Medical College in Manipal, India, prior to pursuing orthopaedic fellowships at the Women’s and Children’s Hospital in Adelaide, Australia, the Melbourne Orthopedic Group, and Royal Children’s Hospital in Melbourne, Australia. Dr. Mulpuri also completed a clinical research fellowship in orthopaedics at BC Children’s Hospital.
Dr. Mulpuri’s clinical practice and research interests focus on the pediatric hip and cerebral palsy. He regularly treats patients with a wide range of conditions, including developmental dysplasia of the hip (DDH), cerebral palsy (CP), Legg-Calvé-Perthes (Perthes) disease, osteogenesis imperfecta (OI), slipped capital femoral epiphysis (SCFE), and trauma.
Dr. Mulpuri is also regularly involved with the development of new clinical practice guidelines. Most recently, he chaired the work group that developed the guidelines for non-operative treatment and management of DDH. Dr. Mulpuri takes on several roles, some of which include the following:
- President Elect, Canadian Orthopaedic Association (COA)
- Research Director, International Hip Dysplasia Institute (IHDI)
- Medical Lead, Child Health BC Hip Surveillance Program for Children with Cerebral Palsy
- Co-Lead, BC Children’s Hospital Research Institute Evidence to Innovation Theme
- Founding President, Canadian Pediatric Orthopaedic Group (CPOG)
- Fellowship Director, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, BC Children’s Hospital
- Chairman, Medical Advisory Board, HIPpy Society Board
- Lead, HIPpy Research Team, BC Children’s Hospital
- Principal Investigator or Co-Investigator, various international multi-centre research studies (e.g., International Hip Dysplasia Registry, SCFE Longitudinal Prospective Registry, Pediatric Orthopaedic Registry of Trauma and Health Outcomes, CP Hip Outcomes Project)
Dr. Mulpuri also mentors PhD, masters, and co-op students on a regular basis.
Research Interests & Publications
- Developmental Dysplasia of the Hip (DDH)
- Cerebral Palsy (CP)
- Slipped Capital Femoral Epiphysis (SCFE)
- Legg-Calvé-Perthes (Perthes) Disease
Dodwell E, Dua S, Dulai SK, Astone K, Mulpuri K. The quality of randomized controlled trials in pediatric orthopaedics: Are we improving? J Pediatr Orthop. 2015;35:536–545. doi:10.1097/BPO.0000000000000324.
Upasani VV, Bomar JD, Matheney TH, Sankar WN, Mulpuri K, Price CT, Moseley CF, Kelley SP, Narayanan U, Clarke NM, Wedge JH, Castañeda P, Kasser JR, Foster BK, Herrera-Soto JA, Cundy PJ, Williams N, Mubarak SJ. Evaluation of brace treatment for infant hip dislocation in a prospective cohort: Defining the success rate and variables associated with failure. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2016;98(14):1215-21. doi: 10.2106/JBJS.15.01018.
Mulpuri K, Schaeffer EK, Kelley SP, Castaneda P, Clarke NM, Herrera-Soto JA, Upasani V, Narayanan UG, Price CT, IHDI Study Group. What is the impact of center variability in a multicenter international prospective observational study on developmental dysplasia of the hip? Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2016;474(5):1138-45. doi: 10.1007/s11999-016-4746-y.
Mulpuri K, Schaeffer EK, Andrade J, Sankar WN, Williams N, Matheney TH, Mubarak SJ, Cundy PJ, Price CT, IHDI Study Group. What risk factors and characteristics are associated with late-presenting dislocations of the hip in infants? Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2016;474(5):1131-7. DOI: 10.1007/s11999-015-4668-0.
Schaeffer EK, Mulpuri K. Developmental dysplasia of the hip: addressing evidence gaps with a multicentre prospective international study. The Medical Journal of Australia. 2018 May;208(8):359-64.
For more information regarding Dr. Mulpuri’s published research, please click here.
- OrthoPod Interview with Kishore Mulpuri: How Brainstorming Meetings Kill Ideas
- Dr. Kishore Mulpuri on ‘local to global to local’
- UBC Pediatric Orthopedic Researchers Recognized as Global Experts in Developmental Dysplasia of the Hip (DDH) and Congenital Hip Dislocation
- BC Children’s Hospital – Orthopaedic Clinic – Mulpuri Team Selected for the 2021 UBC Science Co-op Employer Recognition Award
- Congratulations to the COA’s 76th President Dr. Kishore Mulpuri
- 2021 Academic Gown Ceremonies
- Dr. Kishore Mulpuri Appointed as Head of the UBC Department of Orthopaedics
- Exploring the impact of COVID-19 on pediatric orthopaedic surgery practice