Number of Positions: 4
Duration: 1 year clinical (August 1 to July 31)
Location: Vancouver General Hospital
Salary & Benefits: 2021 Salary = $65,000 + Benefits (if applicable) | 2022 Salary = $75,000 + Benefits (if applicable)
Fellowship Directors: Dr. Brian Kwon & Dr. Scott Paquette
Fellowship Mentors: Dr. Tamir Ailon, Dr. Raphaële Charest-Morin, Dr. Nicolas Dea, Dr. Marcel Dvorak, Dr. Charles Fisher, Dr. Brian Kwon, Dr. Scott Paquette, Dr. John Street.
Vancouver Acute and the University of British Columbia offer a comprehensive interdisciplinary orthopaedic and neurosurgical fellowship in all aspects of adult spinal care. One and two year fellowships with basic science research opportunities in biomedical engineering and regeneration neurobiology are offered.
Working with combinations of 8 spine surgeons, Fellows will participate in the care of 30-40 inpatients, including those at the regional Acute Spinal Cord Injury Unit. The interdisciplinary Back Pain Clinic, hospital based private offices, and outpatient clinics provide exposure to elective and emergent cases and opportunities for follow-up and new patient evaluation. Elective referral practices expose the Fellow to a balanced evidence-based approach to the treatment of degenerative disease, tumors, infections, inflammatory arthritis, and complex deformity. An active research program presents many research opportunities.
Active participation in the academic program and completion of a research project to the point of publication, are mandatory for successful completion of the fellowship. Areas of emphasis in the program include the management of acute spinal cord injuries, spine fractures, inflammatory arthritis of the spine, metastatic epidural cord compression, spine education, acute and degenerative disc disease, and several ongoing prospective randomized surgical trials. Collaboration with the Division of Orthopaedic Engineering is also ongoing.
Goals & Objectives:
- To be trained under the supervision of our group of specialized spinal surgeons on a diverse range of elective and spinal trauma surgery cases
- Surgical rotation will occur between both the neurosurgical and orthopaedic spine surgeons at Vancouver General Hospital
- Regular clinical attendance for new patients and follow-up/post-surgical patients
- Care of in-patients
- Attendance at weekly rounds/grand rounds
- Attendance at morning meetings and regular call rotation
- Participation in the spine group’s clinical and academic activity, including three to four research projects during the Fellowship term
- Required presentation at Orthopaedic Update/Research Day
VGH/UBC Spine Fellowship is internationally recognized for its clinical, educational and research excellence, having trained over 60 fellows over the past 20 years.
Last updated: June 2020