The UBC Department of Orthopaedics hosted our annual Orthopaedic Update and BCOA Annual Meeting beginning with Research Day presentations by our trainees, followed by Ortho Update, a two-day accredited CPD/CME orthopaedics conference, in collaboration with the BC Orthopaedic Association. We ended the in-person meeting with a specular Graduation & Awards Gala to recognize and celebrate our 2023 graduating trainees and outstanding teachers.
The annual UBC Department of Orthopaedics Research Day took place on Wednesday, May 3 at the Gordon and Leslie Diamond Health Care Centre at Vancouver General Hospital. Research Day is a one-day event in which UBC Orthopaedics residents, fellows, and graduate students present their research.
Click HERE to view the 2023 Research Day program agenda and abstracts.
Click HERE to watch a recording of the event and view our list of award winners.
The UBC Department of Orthopaedics and the BC Orthopaedic Association (BCOA) hosted our annual Orthopaedic Update, a two-day accredited CPD/CME conference for orthopaedic surgeons, researchers, and allied health across British Columbia for timely and relevant updates on research and innovations in clinical practice.
The in-person conference was held May 4-5, 2023 at the Morris J Wosk Centre for Dialogue at Simon Fraser University and was broadcasted via Zoom for those who chose virtual participation.
This year’s theme—Bringing It All Together—featured sessions on SCI care, patient appropriateness and optimization for surgery, orthopaedic oncology, radiculopathy and many more. Click HERE to view the 2023 Ortho Update program agenda.
A special thanks goes to our special guest speakers:
- Dr. Raja Rampersaud, MD, FRCS(C) J. Bernard Gosevitz Chair in Arthritis Research, UHN Orthopaedic Spine Surgeon, Toronto Western Hospital; UHN Director, Orthopaedic Osteoarthritis Research Program; Schroeder Arthritis Institute Provincial Clinical Lead; Low Back Pain Pathway Professor of Surgery, University of Toronto; Chief Medical Officer, Arthur Health
- Dr. Lisa Howard, MD, FRCSC, MHSc. Orthopaedic Surgeon, Vancouver BC; Assistant Professor, Department of Orthopaedics, University of British Columbia
- Dr. Serena Hu, MD. Professor and Vice Chair, Chief of Spine Service Department of Orthopedic Surgery Professor, Department of Neurological Surgery, Stanford University
- Dr. Katharine Smart, MD, FRCPC. Consultant Pediatrician, Whitehorse, YT; Past-President, Canadian Medical Association
- Dr. David Nelson, MD, FRCSC. Orthopaedic Surgeon, University Hospital of Northern British Columbia, Clinical Associate Professor, Department of Orthopaedics, University of British Columbia
Graduation & Awards Gala
Residents, fellows, students, faculty, and staff from the UBC Department of Orthopaedics, together with their guests, attended the 2023 Graduation and Awards Gala Dinner on May 5, 2023 at the Arbutus Club to commemorate the accomplishments of our graduating trainees, signifying the culmination of their hard work, passion, and commitment to orthopaedics.
Congratulations to this year’s award recipients and our entire Class of 2023 Graduating Residents and Clinical Fellows!
Research Day Awards
As part of the ceremony, the best research presentations by residents, clinical fellows, and graduate students at the annual Research Day held May 3rd were presented. Click HERE to view our award winners.
Faculty Research Award
The Faculty Research Award is in recognition of outstanding contribution in the area of research and innovation in the Department of Orthopaedics. All clinical or academic faculty members conducting research or contributing to innovation at the Department of Orthopaedics are eligible for this award.
- Dr. Brian Kwon, UBC Orthopaedics Professor
Faculty Service Award
The Faculty Service Award recognizes outstanding contributions in service to the Department of Orthopaedics in the areas of leadership, advocacy, quality improvement, engagement initiatives and/or program development. All clinical or academic faculty members within the Department of Orthopaedics are eligible for this award.
- Dr. Henry Broekhuyse, UBC Orthopaedics Clinical Professor & Interim Residency Program Coordinator
Unsung Hero Award
The Unsung Hero Award recognizes an individual who has made significant behind-the-scenes contributions to the success of the Department of Orthopaedics. All faculty and staff within the Department of Orthopaedics are eligible for this award.
- Vicki Wenman, UBC Orthopaedics Residency Program Coordinator
Faculty Teaching Award
Chosen by our UBC Orthopaedics Residents, the Faculty Teaching Award is presented annually to a faculty member in recognition of outstanding contributions to resident education.
- Dr. Pierre Guy, UBC Orthopaedics Professor
Fellow Teaching Award
Selected by our UBC Orthopaedics Residents, Fellow Teaching Award is presented annually to clinical fellows in recognition of outstanding contributions to resident education.
- Dr. Mohammed Alotaibi, UBC Pediatric Orthopaedic Fellow
Class of 2023 Graduating Residents
- Aly Alsaifan
- Colby Finney
- Akshay Lobo
- John Steyn
- Kellen Walsh
2023 Clinical Fellows
Division of Arthroscopy
- Guillaume LaForest – Reconstructive Arthroscopy
Division of Distal Extremities
- Mohammad Alsaqabi – Foot & Ankle Adult Reconstruction
- Susan Ge – Foot & Ankle Adult Reconstruction
- Loek Loozen – Foot & Ankle Adult Reconstruction
- Madeline Willegger – Foot & Ankle Adult Reconstruction
- Veronique Drapeau-Zgoralski – Hand & Upper Extremity (currently running her practice in Trois-Rivieres, Quebec)
- Alia Albaghdadi – Foot & Ankle Reconstruction – Royal Columbian Hospital (Postgraduate Trainee)
Division of Pediatric Orthopaedics
- Mohammed Alotaibi – Pediatric Orthopaedic
- Ankita Bansal – Pediatric Orthopaedic
- Gourav Jandial – Pediatric Orthopaedic
- Osama Aldahamsheh – Pediatric Orthopaedic Spine
- Michael Hanna – Pediatric Orthopaedic Spine
Division of Lower Limb Reconstruction & Oncology
- Erden Ali – Adult Reconstruction, Hip & Knee (currently working as Staff at the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital in London, UK)
- Malek Alshammari – Adult Reconstruction, Hip & Knee
- Barry Congdon – Adult Reconstruction, Hip & Knee
- Kirsten Hickie – Adult Reconstruction, Hip & Knee
- Babar Kayani – Adult Reconstruction, Hip & Knee
- Sahil Sidhu – Adult Reconstruction, Hip & Knee
- Francisco Jose Bengoa Trucco – Orthopaedic Oncology
Division of Orthopaedic Spine Surgery
- Alwalaa Althagafi – Neurosurgical & Orthopaedic Spine
- Arthur Bartolozzi – Neurosurgical & Orthopaedic Spine
- Charles Touchette – Neurosurgical & Orthopaedic Spine
Division of Orthopaedic Trauma
- Marc-Olivier Dion – Orthopaedic Trauma – Vancouver Acute
- Andreas Flury – Orthopaedic Trauma – Vancouver Acute
- Daniela Sanchez – Orthopaedic Trauma – Vancouver Acute
- Justin Murphy – Upper Extremity Reconstruction & Trauma – Royal Columbian Hospital