Dr. Peter O’Brien is an Orthopaedic Trauma Surgeon. His clinical practice is located at the Vancouver General and UBC Hospitals. His surgical practice is focuses on Orthopaedic Trauma for acute injuries of the extremities and pelvis and the reconstruction of post traumatic complications. He is a member of the Canadian Orthopaedic Association (COA), American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS), Orthopaedic Trauma Association (OTA), AO North America, AO International and the Canadian Orthopaedic Trauma Society (COTS).
- Orthopaedic trauma
- Global surgical care
- Reconstruction of post traumatic complications
Research Interests & Publications
- Orthopaedic trauma
- Open fracture management
- Flexible fracture fixation
- Orthopaedic trauma care in LMICs
- Keating JF, O’Brien PJ, Blachut PA, Meek RN, Broekhuyse HM: Locking Intramedullary Nailing with and without Reaming for Open Fractures of the Tibial Shaft. A Prospective, Randomized Study. J Bone Joint Surg Am 79(3):334-341, Mar 1997
- O’Brien PJ, Meek RN, Powell JN, Blachut PA: Primary Intramedullary Nailing of Open Femoral Shaft Fractures, J Trauma, 31(1):113-116, Jan 1991
- O’Brien, PJ, Meek RN, Blachut PA, Broekhuyse HM, Sabharwal S: Fixation of Intertrochanteric Hip Fractures: Gamma Nail Versus Dynamic Hip Screw. A Randomized, Prospective Study. Can J Surg, 38(6):516-20, 1995
- Blachut PA, O’Brien PJ, Meek RN, Broekhuyse HM: Interlocking Intramedullary Nailing with and without Reaming for the Treatment of Closed Fractures of the Tibial Shaft. A Prospective, Randomized Study. J Bone Joint Surg Am 79(5):640-646, May 1997
- White TO, Guy P, Cooke CJ, Kennedy SA, Droll KP, Blachut PA, O’Brien PJ: The results of early primary open reduction and internal fixation for treatment of OTA 43.C-type tibial pilon fractures: a cohort study. J Orthop Trauma; 2010 Dec;24(12): 757-63.
For more information regarding Dr. Peter O’Brien published research, please click here.
- FRCSC Orthopaedic Surgery, The University of British Columbia, 1982
- MD, University of Alberta, 1976
- BMSc, University of Alberta, 1974