CLINICAL ASSISTANT PROFESSOR
Fraser – Burnaby General Hospital
Dr. James Dunwoody is an orthopaedic surgeon at Burnaby Hospital and a Clinical Assistant Professor with the University of British Columbia Department of Orthopaedic Surgery. His practice includes a moderate volume of hip and knee replacement primaries, complex primaries and periprosthetic fractures. He performs community level fracture surgery with a full spectrum of on call orthopaedic coverage. His practice also includes some upper extremity post traumatic reconstruction.
In 2010 Dr. Dunwoody became a member of the Canadian Forces. Dr. Dunwoody is a reserve Medical Officer with 1 Canadian Field Hospital and deployed to the Role 3 Hospital in Kandahar during the summer of 2011 as a combat orthopaedic surgeon. Dr. Dunwoody actively trains with 1 Canadian Field Hospital.
Research Interests & Publications
- Day surgery hip and knee arthroplasty
- Knee Replacement
Orthopaedic Knowledge Update Shoulder and Elbow 4: Clavicle Fractures. Co-author with Dr. Michael McKee.
Periprosthetic hip and knee fractures: The scope of the problem. Duncan CP, Younger ASE, Dunwoody JM Instructional Course Lectures #47, 1998.
Dunwoody JM, Brown KL, & Reichert CC. Compartment syndrome associated with bupivicaine (0.1%) and fentanyl epidural analgesia in pediatric orthopaedics: A report of two cases. . Journal of Pediatric Orthopaedics. 1997, May-June; 17(3):285-8. PMID: 9150012
For more information regarding Dr. Dunwoody’s published research, please click here.
- Community trauma
- Hip and knee arthroplasty
- Damage control surgery
- Orthopaedic trauma fellow at R. Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center – Baltimore, Maryland – 2000/2001
- Upper extremity reconstruction St. Michaels’ Hospital -Toronto, Ontario – 2011/2012
- Hip and knee reconstructive fellowship St. Michael’s Hospital – Toronto, Ontario – 2002
- UBC orthopaedic surgery residency – Vancouver, British Columbia – 1992 to 1997
- Surgical internship Queen’s University – Kingston, Ontario – 1991-1992
- Medical school Queen’s University – Kingston, Ontario – 1987 to 1991
- Bachelor of Arts – Biology Queen’s University – Kingston, Ontario – 1984 to 1987