CLINICAL ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR & REGIONAL HEAD, INTERIOR
Kelowna – Kelowna General Hospital
Dr. John Oliver joined the Orthopaedic Group in Kelowna in 1986. At the time, there were 4 orthopaedic surgeons. The group has grown to include 10 surgeons. Dr. Oliver practiced ‘general orthopaedics’ with interest in the treatment of athletic injuries and primary arthroplasty. He was also a director of the Canadian Academy of Sport Medicine from 1980-85, and was President of CASM in 1983-85. Dr. Oliver was the medical consultant to the Canadian Freestyle Ski Team from 1979-2010. He served as President of the BC Orthopaedic Association in 1995-97.
In January 2021, Dr. Oliver retired from active surgical practice in Kelowna, and continues with a consulting and assisting practice. In 2019, Dr. Oliver accepted the invitation to be the Regional Head of Orthopaedics at the distributed Southern Medical Program of UBC.
Research Interests & Publications
- Community orthopaedics with emphasis on athletic injuries and arthroplasty
- Teaching at the Southern Medical Program of UBC Okanagan
For more information regarding Dr. Oliver’s published research, please click here.
- MSK examination UBCO medical students
- Acute Knee Examination
- KGH Fam Practice Residents
- FRCSC, Orthopaedic Surgery – McGill Montreal General Program 1978
- MD – McGill University 1973