Each year, the UBC Department of Orthopaedics recognizes the incredible research by our trainees at our annual Orthopaedic Research Day event. This year’s event was held at the Gordon and Leslie Diamond Health Care Centre at Vancouver General Hospital on May 3, 2023 and was hosted by Dr. Henry Broekhuyse, UBC Orthopaedics Clinical Professor and Interim Residency Program Director.
This year’s review panel included three accomplished orthoapedic professionals:
- Dr. Bonita Sawatzky, Associate Professor, UBC Orthopaedics
- Dr. David Stockton, Clinical Assistant Professor, UBC Orthopaedics
- Dr. Raja Rampersaud, MD, FRCS(C) J. Bernard Gosevitz Chair in Arthritis Research, UHN Orthopaedic Spine Surgeon, Toronto Western Hospital; UHN Director, Orthopaedic Osteoarthritis Research Program; Schroeder Arthritis Institute Provincial Clinical Lead; Low Back Pain Pathway Professor of Surgery, University of Toronto; Chief Medical Officer, Arthur Health
We are pleased to announce the 2023 UBC Orthopaedic Research Day award recipients:
- 1st Place: Yousif Murad (PGY 1) – “Fully automated analysis of the anatomical and mechanical axes from pediatric standing lower limb radiographs using convolutional neural networks” (supervised by Dr. Anthony Cooper)
- 2nd Place: Mikaela Peters (PGY 5) – “The Double Edged Scalpel – Experiences and Perceptions of Pregnancy and Parenthood During Canadian Surgical Residency Training” (supervised by Dr. Kelly Lefaivre)
- 3rd Place: Taylor Crown (PGY 3) – “A Comparison of Suspensory Versus Aperture Fixation for Isolated Soft Tissue Posterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction : A Systematic Review” (supervised by Drs. Parth Lodhia & Jordan Leith)
Clinical Fellow Research
- Ankita Bansal (Clinical Fellow) – “Differences in Presentation between Patients Diagnosed with Developmental Dysplasia of the Hip in a Multi-Centre, Global Prospective Registry: A Comparison of Western and Indian Centres” (supervised by Drs. Kishore Mulpuri & Emily Schaeffer)
Graduate Student Research
- Adan Moallemi (Graduate Student) – “Optogenetic stimulation to enhance axon growth and motor recovery following spinal cord injury” (supervised by Dr. Dena Shahriari)
Congratulations to the winners and all speakers who presented this year!