Each year, the UBC Department of Orthopaedics recognizes the incredible research by our trainees at our annual Orthopaedic Research Day event. This year’s event was held at the Gordon and Leslie Diamond Health Care Centre at Vancouver General Hospital on May 4, 2022 and was hosted by Dr. Henry Broekhuyse, UBC Orthopaedics Clinical Professor and Director of Postgraduate Medical Education.
This year’s review panel included three accomplished orthoapedic faculty:
- Dr. Mohit Bhandari, Distinguished University Professor, Chair, Department of Surgery, McMaster University; Senior Tier Canada Research Chair; Editor-in-Chief, OrthoEvidence
- Dr. Raphaële Charest-Morin, Clinical Assistant Professor, UBC Department of Orthopaedics
- Dr. Dena Shahriari, Assistant Professor, UBC Department of Orthopedics and the School of Biomedical Engineering
We are pleased to announce the 2022 UBC Orthopaedic Research Day award recipients:
- Alice Wang (PGY1) – “Cost Analysis Comparing Staged vs Non-staged Pes Planovalgus Foot Reconstruction” (supervised by Dr. Andrea Veljkovic)
- Eryck Moskven (PGY2) – “The role of frailty and sarcopenia in predicting major adverse events, length of stay, reoperation and mortality following en bloc resection of primary bone tumours and isolated metastases of the spine” (supervised by Dr. Raphaële Charest-Morin)
- Tanya MacDonell (PGY3) – “Highly crosslinked polyethylene liner thickness in THA does not influence long-term survival: A retrospective cohort study with minimum 11 years follow-up” (supervised by Dr. Michael Neufeld)
Clinical Fellow Research
- Gerard Sheridan – “Identification of Protective and Risky HLA Genotypes for the Development
- of Pseudotumours Around Hip Resurfacing – A Case-Control Study” (supervised by Dr. Donald Garbuz)
- Lukas Grassner – “Serum neurofilament light (NF-L) and glial fibrillary acidic protein (GFAP) biomarkers and their association with MRI findings in acute human traumatic spinal cord injury” (supervised by Dr. Brian Kwon)
Graduate Student Research
- Shahriar Shalileh – “Fully implantable, flexible optical probes for neuromodulation of the spinal cord” (supervised by Dr. Dena Shahriari)
- Luke Johnson – “Advanced MR imaging of Legg-Calvé-Perthes disease: a pilot study” (supervised by Dr. David Wilson)
View the Program Agenda and Abstracts.
Congratulations to the winners and all speakers who presented this year!