On June 4, 2021 faculty, staff, residents, and fellows from the UBC Department of Orthopaedics attended the 2021 graduation ceremony via Zoom. This virtual ceremony commemorated the accomplishments of our graduating trainees, signifying the culmination of their hard work, passion, and commitment to orthopaedics.
This year’s virtual program included remarks and presentations from a number of faculty, residents, and fellows. UBC Orthopaedics Professor and Head, Dr. Kishore Mulpuri, opened the ceremony with words of welcome. The graduating residents were introduced by Clinical Professor & Director, Postgraduate Medical Education, Dr. Henry Broekhuyse. Our graduating fellows were introduced by their Program Directors. Six residents spoke about their experiences in the five-year program and shared their appreciation for all the faculty, residents, fellows, and staff members involved in their training. Their heartfelt words brought a tear to many eyes!
As part of the ceremony, the best resident, clinical fellow, and graduate student research presentations at the Department’s Research Day held on May 20 were acknowledged. Click HERE to view our award winners.
The “Best Teacher” awards are presented yearly by the residents, and were awarded to Dr. Supriya Singh, for the “Best Fellow Teacher” and Dr. Henry Broekhuyse, for the “Best Faculty Teacher.”
The Brett Kilb Award is a scholarship available to support a resident taking a one-year leave from their residency training to obtain an advanced degree and complete a significant research project. It was first awarded in 2018 and is available at most every two years. This year, the Brett Kilb award was given to PGY2 resident Dr. Daniella Crocker who will be completing an MBA program at the University of Alberta.
Division of Arthroscopy:
- Douglas Kingwell – Reconstructive Arthroscopy
Division of Distal Extremities:
- Charlotte Allen – Foot & Ankle Adult Reconstruction
- Dynai Eilig – Foot & Ankle Adult Reconstruction
- Paul Kulyk – Foot & Ankle Adult Reconstruction
- Diogo Vieira Cardoso – Foot & Ankle Adult Reconstruction
- Sirat Khan – Hand & Upper Extremity
- Islam Elnagar – Upper Extremity Reconstruction & Trauma
Division of Pediatric Orthopaedics:
- Ali M A Bakkai – Pediatric Orthopaedics
- Njalalle Baraza – Pediatric Orthopaedics
- Mashael Muwanis – Pediatric Orthopaedics
- Sean Kelly – Pediatric Orthopaedic Spine
- Supriya Singh – Pediatric Orthopaedic Spine
Division of Lower Limb Reconstruction & Oncology:
- Jae Jin (Alex) Lee – Adult Reconstruction, Hip & Knee
- John Machin – Adult Reconstruction, Hip & Knee
- Matthew Street – Adult Reconstruction, Hip & Knee
Division of Orthopaedic Spine Surgery:
- Nicolas Beresford-Cleary – Neurosurgical & Orthopaedic Spine
- Christopher Daly – Neurosurgical & Orthopaedic Spine
- Charlotte Dandurand – Neurosurgical & Orthopaedic Spine
Division of Orthopaedic Trauma:
- Thunayan Alemairi – Orthopaedic Trauma – Vancouver Acute
- Gabriel Larose – Orthopaedic Trauma – Vancouver Acute
- Lynn Murphy – Orthopaedic Trauma – Vancouver Acute
- James Yan – Orthopaedic Trauma – Royal Columbian Hospital
- Alia Albaghdadi
- Jillian Fairley
- Jennifer Hunter
- Ryan Lohre
- Adam Mcintyre
- David Stockton
- Oren Zarnett
The Department congratulates all of our graduates and award winners – we wish them success in their future endeavours! Click HERE to learn more about what’s next for some of our 2021 graduates.