UBC Orthopaedics hosted our signature week of events during the first week of May beginning with Research Day presentations by residents, fellows, and graduate students from the Department of UBC Orthopaedics trainees followed by Ortho Update, a two-day accredited CPD/CME orthopaedics conference, in collaboration with the BC Orthopaedics Association. For a finale, we ended the week with a specular Graduation & Awards Gala to recognize and celebrate our 2022 graduating residents and fellows and outstanding teachers.
SAVE THE DATE! Ortho Update 2023 will be held May 4–5, 2023. Watch HERE in the coming months as details evolve.
The annual UBC Department of Orthopaedics Research Day took place Wednesday, May 4 at the Gordon and Leslie Diamond Health Care Centre at Vancouver General Hospital. Research Day is a one-day event in which UBC Orthopaedics residents, fellows, and graduate students present their research.
Click HERE to view the 2022 Research Day program agenda and abstracts.
Click HERE to view the award winners.
The UBC Department of Orthopaedics and BC Orthopaedic Association (BCOA) hosted our annual Orthopaedic Update, a two-day accredited CPD/CME conference for orthopaedic surgeons, researchers and allied health across British Columbia for timely and relevant updates on research and innovations in clinical practice.
The in-person conference was held May 5–6, 2022 at the Morris J Wosk Centre for Dialogue at Simon Fraser University and was broadcast by Zoom for those who chose virtual participation. Over 190 participants from across the province attended Ortho Update 2022 with 34 of those attending virtually.
This year’s theme—Innovations in Orthopaedics—featured sessions on innovating healthcare and healthcare redesign, innovating the surgeon and surgical care, same-day discharge arthroplasty, emerging technologies, novel surgical techniques, accelerated recovery pathways, and other ‘hot-topics’ in orthopaedics. Click HERE to view the 2022 Ortho Update program agenda.
Some notable highlights of the meeting, mentioned by a number of attendees:
- Dr. Mo Bhandari’s presentations—and specifically the one on “Building a Creative Mindset”—encouraging and empowering audience members to pursue their passions and creative side for the betterment of their orthopaedic practice, their patients, and their own fulfillment and wellbeing.
- Dr. Darin Davidson’s presentations on “Physician Burnout: Could We Be Thinking About This All Wrong?” and “Psychological and Physical Skills for the Healthcare Athlete”—facilitating insight and an approach to optimizing performance while maximizing wellness and minimizing burnout.
- Dr. Alf Smith’s presentation on “The Challenge of Orthopaedic Practice in Remote Rural BC”—an engaging talk spotlighting the excitement, challenges and highlights of practice in rural British Columbia.
- Dr. Raphaële Charest-Morin’s presentation on “Recent Innovations in Spine Oncology”—a remarkable presentation showcasing innovative treatments and technologies for use in spine tumors.
- Dr. Fay Leung’s presentation on “Renovating the House of God”—a tremendous presentation on the past, present and future of orthopaedics.
- Dr. Bonnie Sawatzky’s presentation on “Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion”—a captivating, motivating, empowering presentation of relevance to everyone!
- The session “Stronger Together”—with presentations from Cynthia Vezina from the COA, Alastair Younger and Lane Dielwart from the BCOA, and Kishore Mulpuri from the Department of Orthopaedics—highlighting the importance of our different societies and structures within Orthopaedics that advocate for our profession and our patients—and how we are truly stronger working together.
This conference was a true highlight for many in our orthopaedic community as it brought us all together face-to-face to discuss topics and issues of common interest. Engaging speakers and interactive sessions, involving topics of relevance to everyday practice, made for an enriching CPD/CME event. We are grateful for all of those who attended and contributed to making this meeting a success!— Nelson Greidanus, Conference Program Chair, Ortho Update 2022 and Assistant Professor, UBC Department of Orthopaedics
A special thanks goes to our special guest speakers:
- Dr. Mo Bhandari, Distinguished University Professor, Chair, Department of Surgery, McMaster University; Senior Tier Canada Research Chair; Editor-in-Chief, OrthoEvidence
- Dr. Darin Davidson, Hematology/Oncology and Orthopaedic Surgery Specialist, Seattle, Washington
- Dr. Raphaële Charest-Morin, Clinical Assistant Professor, UBC Orthopaedics
- Dr. Fay Leung, Clinical Associate Professor, UBC Orthopaedics
- Dr. Alf Smith, Clinical Instructor, Prince Rupert Regional Hospital, UBC Orthopaedics
Graduation & Awards Gala
Residents, fellows, students, faculty, and staff from the UBC Department of Orthopaedics, together with their guests, attended the 2022 Graduation and Awards Gala Dinner on May 6, 2022 at the Shaughnessy Golf & Country Club to gather and celebrate as a community and to commemorate the accomplishments of our graduating trainees, signifying the culmination of their hard work, passion, and commitment to orthopaedics.
This year’s gala felt extra-special as it was our first large, in-person gathering in several years. More than 125 guests from our province-wide orthopaedic community came together to celebrate, making this one of the most well-attended graduation & awards gala in recent memory.
Congratulation to this year’s award recipients and our entire Class of 2022 Graduating Residents and Clinical Fellows!
Research Day Awards
As part of the ceremony, the best research presentations by residents, clinical fellows, and graduate students at the annual Research Day held May 4 were presented. Click HERE to view our award winners.
The Best Faculty Teaching Award
Chosen by our UBC Orthopaedic Residents, The Best Faculty Teaching Award is presented annually to a faculty member in recognition of outstanding contributions to resident education. The 2022 Best Faculty Teaching Award recipient is as follows:
- Dr. Paul Clarkson, Division of Lower Limb Reconstruction and Oncology
The Fellow Teaching Awards
Selected by our UBC Orthopaedic Residents, The Best Fellow Teaching Awards are presented annually to clinical fellows in recognition of outstanding contributions to resident education. The 2022 Best Fellow Teaching Award recipients are as follows:
- Dr. Gerard Sheridan, Adult Reconstruction, Hip & Knee
- Dr. Courtney Bull, Paediatric Orthopaedic
- Dr. Lukas Grassner, Neurosurgical & Orthopaedic Spine
Class of 2022 Graduating Residents
- Dr. Alex Hoffer
- Dr. Michael Nitikman
- Dr. Aresh Sepehri
- Dr. Stefan St George
2022 Clinical Fellows
Division of Arthroscopy (Reconstructive Arthroscopy)
- Dynai Eilig
- Guillaume Gagnon
Division of Distal Extremities (Foot & Ankle Adult Reconstruction)
- Antoine Acker
- Sebastian Drago
- Paula McQuail
- Anna Stock
Division of Distal Extremities (Hand & Upper Extremity)
- Sirat Khan
- Suan Khor
- Taro Okamoto
Division of Pediatric Orthopaedics (Pediatric Orthopaedics)
- Ali M A Bakkai
- Courtney Bull
- Mashael Muwanis
- Judith Nassaazi
Division of Pediatric Orthopaedics (Pediatric Orthopaedics Spine)
- Ali Eren
- Otis Shirley
Division of Lower Limb Reconstruction & Oncology (Adult Reconstruction, Hip & Knee)
- Raed Al-Zaben
- Maria Bautista
- Tyson Boettcher
- Bas Fransen
- Gerard Sheridan
- Francisco Jose Bengoa Trucco
Division of Orthopaedic Spine Surgery (Neurosurgical & Orthopaedic Spine)
- Nizar Algarni
- Lukas Grassner
- Matheiu Laflamme
Division of Orthopaedic Trauma (Vancouver Acute)
- Lynn Hutchings
- Adam Tucker
- Mark Xu
Division of Orthopaedic Trauma (Royal Columbian Hospital)
- Charles Bouchard
- Scott Kim